Wednesday, January 23, 2013

LI'L BEHIND THE SCENES #4

Working on Li'l Gotham is this sort of fun way to have a range of stories that Dustin and I want to tell. We'll have some serious or sentimental stories like our Christmas tale. But also have the lighter ones like this.

Our "New Year's Revolution" was something that Dustin had in mind for awhile. If I recall correctly, it was the first script ever finished as he had a first draft of it done before we pitched the Li'l Gotham title to DC. And with each story, what happens is we split duties. We have a "lead writer" on each script, with the other writer providing notes or additional suggestions. This is definitely a Dustin story, and we're all the better for it. I always count on him to provide the cute and fun, and I'll add in some silliness when it calls for it.

Pencils to Watercolor...before-and-after
Li'l Gotham is also a chance to provide something missing, I think, in the New52 titles… a little bit of fun. Having the Sirens together to get into their mischief tends to write itself. Harley & Ivy always go great together, as well as adding Selina into the mix. I think it's a chance for Dustin to shine since he enjoys drawing them and he really gets some great acting and exaggerated performances out of them onto the page.
 
"Fervor" in Li'l Gotham and in Arkham Unhinged

Showing the cosmetics company associated with "Fervor" was a little shout out nod to the character I created for an Arkham Unhinged story. One of those last minute instances where the story called for the Sirens to go after someone that was polluting the earth, and I had a ready made villain that could fit into that role nicely. Her fox scarf being the symbol in the factory sign.


I don't know if Dustin was intentionally influenced by it, but the "Holiday Knights" animated episode of Batman:TAS always sprung to mind when working on this issue. Some likely parallels with the girls going on shopping sprees, playing dress up, and getting into all sorts of trouble in both instances.

The New Year's story came quickly after the Christmas one due to their close proximity of holidays on the calendar. So it's a little bit longer of a wait to get the next story for Valentine's Day. But thanks for hanging in there in the meantime.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that this stuff is finally going to see print in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always a bit of a delay in digital, in order to build up enough content before they can start releasing it into print. And I think it usually takes a lot longer for most of their titles to jump to print. But I think the large amount of support this title saw early, made it easier for them to want to get this in print quickly.

      Delete
  2. Usually, when I buy a book in digital form I don't tend to feel a need to go out in buy it in print, but these stories are just so cute and accessible I can see myself wanting to buy the book that collects them all when the series comes to its conclusion.

    It's just the kind of book that I can see myself wanting to pass around and share and you just can't do that digitally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the support, Bill! Definitely going to be nice to hold the hard copies in my hands and likewise share with others.

      Delete
  3. "Li'l Gotham is also a chance to provide something missing, I think, in the New52 titles… a little bit of fun."

    I whole heartedly agree. DC Comics in general can use a bit more fun in their titles, especially since Superman Family Adventures is getting cancelled and that really makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the dark stuff as well. Actually a range of stuff. I think it's all about balance and having as much options out there. Sad to hear about the Superman cancellation. We'll just have to keep pluggin' away on ours in the meantime.

      Delete
  4. I just bought the latest JLB chapter and saw that Dustin wasn't on pencils. Is this just a fill in or is he off the book now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was only on the first story arc for Konstriction. There's one more Beyond Origin story for Kai-Ro that he's drawn. But he's moved on to Li'l Gotham which takes up all his time.

      Delete