Friday, June 8, 2012

INTRODUCTION or…"Hey, it's that tracer. What's he blabbing about?"

I'm finally here!

I've been slow to catch up with technology, which is ironic since the majority of work in comics that I do is being presented from the digital division of DC Comics.  I'm not on Twitter. Not on Facebook or LinkedIn. Don't have a Tumblr (but you can find my art over on my DeviantArt account). I have an old clunky cellphone that is dying out, not to mention I rarely turn it on. Yup, I'm a technology dinosaur.

And this brings me to the point of having a blog, as everyone has one by now. They share their art, their photos, their political leanings, what they're entertained by, and the minutia in their day. Basically it's long-form Twitter, for those that have something to say other than a shout out or sarcastic remark in under 140 characters.

And that's why I'm starting this…I feel I have something to say.

I wanted a place to be able to talk about the process of writing, or more specifically, my process of writing. Ideas that come to me throughout the day. How I've handled the transition of not just being an artist but also a writer. Someone using words along with a brush or nib. To shed a little light behind the scenes of projects I'm working on and the process behind them. At the same time, I'll also be showing how I write…from the spark of an idea, to fleshing out notes and outlines, to how descriptive my script pages are. And the peek behind the curtain of how the various artists translate those nutty ideas into the fantastic art that gets created. And I'll get a chance to gush or maybe even introduce you to the artists working on the projects I'm on. Granted, most people reading this will be hard core comic fans that already know these artists. But some of them might be new to you (and to me). And I want to sing their praises as well. Because I never lose sight that I'm a fan of this stuff too, that just happens to be working a job I love.

I have a range of topics I'll be covering, as well as keep things pretty loose in-between when something just jumps out at me. And of course advertise what I'm working on for those wanting to find and read it for yourself. I'll flashback to past work to discuss and reminisce about it. But what I really hope happens….is those of you that are reading this, contribute. I want to hear your thoughts. I want you to post questions. And I'll do my best to answer what I can, when I can. To evolve this into an ongoing discussion.  And I'll be updating frequently, because there's a lot to discuss (that and I'm long winded at the computer).

So welcome. We're off and running...

- D

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the shiny new blog, Derek! I'll be following along because I am also fascinated by the writing process. I want to see how it's done, how you solve the issues that come up, and anything else you feel like talking about. :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Olga! Always great to hear from you and see all the cool projects you've been working on as well.

    ReplyDelete